- Acupuncture gets trial in casualty
Sydney Morning Herald. [ June 26, 2009 ]
"ACUPUNCTURE will be used in emergency departments to treat acute migraine, back pain and ankle injuries after its success in lowering pain levels in patients attending a busy public hospital." Read More
- Acupuncture and IVF: Improving success rates of embryo transfer
- Rabl M, Ahner R, Bitschnau M, Zeisler H, Husslein P. Acupuncture for cervical ripening and induction of labour at term – a randomised controlled trial. Wien Klin Wochenschr 2001; 113 (23-24): 942-6
Conclusion: Acupuncture encourages cervical ripening and can reduce the time interval between the woman’s expected date of delivery and the actual time of delivery.
- Cardini F, weixin H. Moxibustion for correction of breech presentation. JAMA 1998: 280, 1580-1584
Conclusion: Moxibustion at BL 67 for 1 week increased fetal movement during treatment and after treatment.
- Smith C, Crowther C, Beilby J. Acupuncture to treat nausea and vomiting in early pregnancy: a randomised trial. Birth. 2002.Mar:29 (1): 1-9
Conclusion: Acupuncture is a safe treatment for morning sickness and nausea during early pregnancy.
- Cancer and xerostomia
Acupuncture relives symptoms of dry mouth caused by radiotherapy for head and neck cancers
 ARIX:” a randomised trial of acupuncture v oral care sessions in patients with chronic xerostomia following treatment of head and neck cancer” by R. Simcock, L. Fallowfield, K. Monson, I. Solis-Trapala, L. Parlou, C. Langridge and V. Jenkins, on behalf of the ARIX steering committee, annals of oncology.
Annals of oncology
“Around half a million people worldwide develope head and neck cancer each year and, at present, there are few effective treatments for dry mouth which is a common side effect of radiotherapy, as many as 41% of patients can still be suffereing from it five years later”
Conclusion – Acupuncture can provide relief from dry mouth after radiotherapy. Patients experienced improved quality of life with significant effects in terms of talking, eating and sleeping.
Treatment can be delivered simply and cheaply and was shown to have quick and sustained results.
Eleanor Lee Physiotherapy Ph 0410 680 890